Jump to Recipe
I don’t know if I am in the minority here, but I love my mushrooms! When I was a kid, I used to order pizzas with only mushrooms and just eat the mushrooms! My mom also used mushrooms in many of her recipes from rice, soup, salads and one dish that I particularly enjoyed – baked mushrooms. When you bake mushrooms, it becomes dehydrated which accentuates the flavors. And when these baked shiitake mushrooms are paired with this Ginger Ponzu Sauce, it just becomes something great! So if you are a fan of mushrooms, give this simple and great recipe a try!
This dish is low-carb/keto with ~2 carbs per serving, so if you like your mushroom, make a whole dish of them!! The recipe offers the wonderful aromas of the shiitake mushrooms paired with a zesty ginger sauce that really compliments the shiitake flavor.
For this one, the special ingredients you will need are ponzu, fresh shiitake mushrooms and cooking rack. You can pick up everything at a local Asian supermarket or the ponzu and cooking rack on Amazon. If you cannot access fresh shiitake mushrooms, you can try to use dried shiitake mushrooms from Amazon. You can also makeshift a cooking rack with some aluminum foil if needed – the aim is to have the liquid from the mushroom to drop down.
Now, let’s get started!
Prepping Time 2M
Cook Time 8M
Total Time 10M
Net Carb/Piece ~2g
- 4-5 Fresh Shiitake Mushrooms
- 1 tbsp Ponzu
- Sprinkle of Salt
- 1/8 Inch of Ginger
1) Gather all the ingredients.
2) Preheat oven to 425F.
3) Wash, de-stem the shiitake mushrooms and slice into 1/8 inch size.
4) Place shiitake mushrooms onto the cooking rack and sprinkle salt (make sure to use an oven tray or lay something on the bottom to catch the liquid). Transfer cooking rack to the center of the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes.
8) Transfer mushrooms to serving plate and serve hot. You can either drizzle sauce on top before serving or as a dipping sauce. We prefer serving it as a dipping sauce to keep dish hot.
Hope you enjoy this low-carb/keto Japanese Shiitake Mushroom in Ginger Ponzu Sauce side dish – or main if you want!! If you are looking for other low-carb/keto recipes to complete a meal, be sure to check out our Recipe Index with over 150+ Asian inspired low-carb/keto recipes!
Join us on Facebook to be part of our interactive Ketolife discussion & recipe requests and follow us on Instagram, Pinterest, or subscribe to our New Recipe Notification and be the first to know when we post a new recipe!More Recipes
Japanese Shiitake Mushroom in Ginger Ponzu Sauce
- 4-5 Pieces Fresh Shiitake Mushrooms
- 1 tbsp Ponzu
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1/8 Inch Ginger
- Gather all the ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Wash, de-stem the shiitake mushrooms and slice into 1/8 inch size.
- Place shiitake mushrooms onto the cooking rack and sprinkle salt (make sure to use an oven tray or lay something on the bottom to catch the liquid). Transfer cooking rack to the center of the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes.
- In the meantime, grate ginger with a grater (should end up with around 1/2 tsp) and set into mixing bowl.
- Combine ponzu into mixing bowl and mix well.
- Transfer mushrooms to serving plate and serve hot. You can either drizzle sauce on top before serving or as a dipping sauce. We prefer serving it as a dipping sauce to keep dish hot.
*This page contains affiliate marketing links*